What's new in ROS Noetic

Hello,
First, I want to thank the team behind this great platform especially for the practical parts and projects. Next, I was following the ROS Basics in 5 Days ( Kinetic ) but I stopped a few days ago. Today, when I open the course I find that it is Noetic version. So, I wonder what are the main differences between them and what things I should pay attention to when I work with Kinetic ( I will be using ROS Kinetic for my next ROS project ).

Hi, thank you for being a part of our community!

In terms of practical changes of you actually learning ROS, there aren’t any differences. ROS Noetic is the latest release, specifically made for Ubuntu 20, and Python 3 is now the standard for it. Noetic also uses the latest Gazebo 11.

This means that this release will be the one that will get support from ROS in the future, so it’s a good idea to have this system working. However, if you plan on using Kinetic, there won’t be any differences as of now, but it should be mentioned that it’s not being actively maintained anymore.

To summarize, the biggest change you’ll have to deal with in Noetic is to change your Python 2 files to Python 3. Here’s a great guide that shows the main differences between the two:

http://wiki.ros.org/UsingPython3

1 Like

Thank you very much :blush: