Min system requirement to run ROS on laptop/PC via virtual box

@staff I am trying to run ROS and Gazebo on my laptop.

1. Can you tell me the min system requirements for the smooth operation of ROS and Gazebo on a laptop?
  2. I am trying to run ROS on Virtual Box so that I can always revert back in case I mess up during the learning process. Can you share your opinion on using ROS / Gazebo in a virtual box? Would you recommend it or do you suggest i install it directly onto my laptop?

My current system specs are as follows:
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i3-6006U CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)

Thanks in advance
Best,
-Joseph

Hi @Joseph1001,

I have never used Gazebo in Virtualbox. I personally believe that if you install it directly on your PC it would be much faster.

Another option is to use docker if you want to run it in a separate environment while also making it fast. I’m assuming your computer runs Linux.

An i3 processor may not be the best (since after i3 we already have i5 and i7) but it may work. If it is slow, just close other programs that may be consuming CPU and RAM, as well as close unused tabs on the Web Browser.

Hi @ralves,
I opted for virtual box because i wanted to practise installing ROS and restore to a previously saved screenshot incase i messed up. (and i have messed up)

Thanks for sharing info on docker, let me look into it.

Thanks for helping out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.