Iri_wam_aff_demo package does not exist (ROS Basics C++)

Hello I’m running into this same issue. I’m on ROS Basics in 5 days (C++) , on chapter 5, trying to run the command “roslaunch iri_wam_aff_demo start_demo.launch” in terminal

Hi, welcome to the community!

That problem is quite strange, since the package roslaunch iri_wam_aff_demo start_demo.launch comes preinstalled in the course. Could you try exiting out of your account and loading the course again?

If not, you can try to find the package with

source /home/simulations/public_sim_ws/devel/setup.bash
roscd iri_wam_aff_demo/

Here is what happens when I launch that file, everything running normally:

1 Like

I logged out and logged back in and didn’t see it. I then sourced the file and it all worked, thanks!

I guess I have a followup question. I got to section 3.4.

I put the cpp file/launch/make the CMakeLists.txt and compiled. When I try to issue the roslaunch command: roslaunch service_client_pkg simple_service.launch I get this:

ERROR] [1623734383.427317897]: Failed to call service /trajectory_by_name
[service_client-1] process has died [pid 6034, exit code 1, cmd /home/user/catkin_ws/devel/lib/service_client_pkg/simple_service_client __name:=service_client __log:=/home/user/.ros/log/459b2852-cd94-11eb-8756-0242c0a83008/service_client-1.log].
log file: /home/user/.ros/log/459b2852-cd94-11eb-8756-0242c0a83008/service_client-1*.log

If I do source /home/simulations/public_sim_ws/devel/setup.bash then it doesn’t see the service I just made.

Two questions:

1. What to do to get it working
  2. Is it normal to have different *_ws folders, or is that for ConstructSim to be able to scale? I’m always interested in how different setups are done and why

Hi,

1. The error you’re getting could be coming from a lot of different places, I would start by checking you have added everything that is necessary in CMakeLists.txt and package.xml.

And if you created the service in catkin_ws, then you need to source it with

source ~/catkin_ws/devel/setup.bash

1. You can have as many *_ws folders as you want, but you have to make sure you source the correct one and don’t get them mixed up in projects. The reason why you see many in our environment is because we keep packages separately so you can focus on catkin_ws. For example, everything related to the simulation is in simulation_ws. I recommend to stick to one worspace, catkin_ws, for now.

Thanks, had a few rough days before I got back to it. Turns out I wasn’t running the trajectory_by_name service.

Interesting info on point two too: makes sense to me.

1 Like