Add Python3 kernel to Jupyter notebooks

Hello,

I would like to use Python3 kernel in Jupyter Notebook.
The built-in Jupyter only provides a Python2 kernel. I tried to install the new kernel on the terminal it worked but made no changes. It seems like that the Jupyter server runs from somewhere else.

Could you help adding a Python3 kernel into Jupyter ?

Thanks in advance

@yhabib
Thank you for your request. You need to click on the Vote button to the left of the post title to vote for the feature. Then more people need to vote for it to increase its chances of being implemented.

1 Like

Hi @yhabib ,

In my opinion, I do not see any difference. Here is why: You will never be able to compile / execute / run any of the programs / codes written in that Jupyter notebook. It is a bit complex and not possible - therefore you can never execute program codes like you normally do in a jupyter notebook in general.

For the courses, the jupyter notebook acts just as a host to provide formatted program codes along with explanation. Even if you install any kernel(s) for the jupyter notebook, you cannot run the codes on the jupyter notebook.

In conclusion, upgrading from Python 2 to Python 3 for the Jupyter Notebooks for the courses would be a Nice to Have feature (since support for Python 2 has ended), but it definitely cannot be classified as Must Have.

Please explain why you want it to be upgraded to Python 3. In your opinion, what do you think would be the advantages of upgrading to Python 3 and what is lacking in the current version of the notebook?
Perhaps this information would help you get votes on your feature request.

– Girish

Hi @girishkumar.kannan ,

Thank you for your answer. I did not know that it was not possible to execute program codes in this Jupyter notebook.
I wanted to load data from a file and display some plots. But my library only works on Python 3.

Then, I will try to run another Jupyter server from the user terminal. Could it work ?

Hi @yhabib ,

What do you mean by “user terminal” ? Do you refer to the four “web shells” that you get on the bottom of the page in the courses?

@girishkumar.kannan ,

Actually I am not doing a course but just trying to build a new Rosject.
And yes, I meant the “web shell”.

I managed to install Jupyter using pip from the web shell, and I can start a server.
Maybe I could just display the notebook on the code editor since there is no browser.

Edit: I cannot display any notebook in the provided IDE.

@yhabib ,

I see what you mean now.

I am not sure you can display the notebook in the IDE.
Why do you want to use a notebook and not the IDE? Are you creating a presentation or something?

The notebook_ws what I see on my rosject page has the image contents of the contents of the rosject notebook - which has the instructions on how to do the project.

If you are creating a new rosject for The Construct website, I may not be able to help you.

If you are creating a notebook for your own use, I think it would be better to use your own jupyter notebook in your computer rather than in the rosject environment.

I guess The Construct team can help you if you need more clarification.

Regards,
Girish

@girishkumar.kannan ,

Well the notebook is a good way to illustrate the code step by step and also to visualize plots.
I wanted to display in the IDE because there is no browser in the Rosject and because I cannot add Python 3 to the built-in Jupyter server.
Using my own computer is not an option for my use case, everything should run in the Rosject.

Thank you for your help, I hope The Construct team will be able to give me a solution.

Best regards,
Yassine