XML syntax: no element found: line 1, column 0 The traceback for the exception was written to the log file

Hallo,
I have issues running the tutorial for package creation in my own ROS workspace.
creating the “my_package” and running it, as shown in Unit 2.5 is no problem, and i get it to print"Help me Obi Wan".
But when I try and do the same on my own system, it gives me the error:
XML syntax: no element found: line 1, column 0 The traceback for the exception was written to the log file

Everything should be the exact same, but I still receive the error.
Apologies for the Photo as it is the snippets, but it should show the most important aspects.
The packages has been compiled, and is registered. The scripts is given permission using chmod +x.

This error is related to the launch file. My guess is that you are missing a character or something in your launch file. Also, are your packages inside the src folder?

yes it is.
That is what confuses me as well… As you can see (in the second snippet from the top) the launch file is very short. Is there anything that seems incorrect? I wonder if it is a simple syntax mistake

Hi @asgerdl ,

Is your file in ASCII format? I believe the xml syntax must be in ASCII (or UTF-8) but the contents within a string need not be.

I have faced this issue some times. It might just be because of copy-paste.
Try to completely delete the contents and write it again manually.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Girish

well, at least I’m learning from my mistakes…
On my own system, at had to change permission settings, else it would allow for changes to the .launch file, so it was basically empty. In addition, I was also running “python3” and not just “python”.
The problem has been solved, and I appreciate your help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 20 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.