What is actually programmed in a robot?

Hi there, when we say that we are programming a robot, for instance say, turtlebot 3, then there is a physical body but it’s obvious that we are programming some chip inside it? Is it imu_tuner or what?
Also, some robots are also programmed using raspberry pi but for turtlebot 3 what did we use to program it(which chip or microcontroller) and why can’t we use raspberry pi for it. Thanks

Hey @navjotsinghsodhi52! I took a look at the ole googlebox and found that some versions of the turtlebot do use a raspberry pi3 https://emanual.robotis.com/docs/en/platform/turtlebot3/compatible_devices/–this is the link where you can see where I found this information.

Your question is basically: what is the hardware requirement for a robot to be controlled (I believe this is a derivative sum of: “but it’s obvious that we are programming some chip inside it?” and “what did we use to program it(which chip or microcontroller) and why can’t we use raspberry pi for it.” I feel that this is a very great question and will attempt to answer it for you.

Robots can be made with many different types of microcontrollers (such as arduino) or computers (PC, Raspberry Pi, etc) There are some drones like the AR Parrot that already have a (basic) computer on it which can be sent commands from ROS and be flown autonomously (I believe using WIFI).

I hope this helps you on your path to robot building!

Your new BFF,
Matt

1 Like