The difference between the learning path and course certificates

I was just wondering if there is any difference between these 2 courses. I am a bit dissatisfied tbh considering that I have enrolled in the 109 hours certificate programme just to know that it is going to end in 1 October 2021. I have already completed the ROS basics in Python with a score of 8/10 and continued along with the URDF Module. I took a break for awhile from ROS and when I came back, all of a sudden the course is going to be discontinued. I see that the new course is basically the same thing.

p/s : I started ROS at the end of May, and I am planning to take my time in completing my 109 hours certificate but knowing that it will be discontinued and I dont get any certificate is a bit sad honestly. I enjoy this course tho, fyi.

Edit:
I am confuse, I got grade 8 as shown here:

But in this one, I got 4.8, but I remembered that back then, there was a problem with the auto-grading system

1 Like

Hey Khalid!

Thank you for expressing your doubts! I understand your confusion.

The primary difference is that one is a course while the other is a learning path, which consists of several courses. (PS: a learning path is a “combo” of courses).

The two are graded differently:

1. For a learning path, the grading unit is a course, where the grade of the course is the average grade obtained in all the quizzes of the course.
  2. For a course, the grading unit is a course chapter, where the course chapters are the quizzes (if any) and a real robot project that must be presented live.

So you will see a difference in your total score for the course on the learning path and your total score for the same course on the course itself because your total score for the course on the learning path does not consider the real robot project. We are discontinuing the first option because this can be confusing.

So for now, I recommend that you choose either to go for one of the two certificates:

1. The learning path certificate (the 109 hours programme), which certifies your proficiency in several courses. Whenever you finish this program, we will issue you a certificate.
  2. The course certificate, which certifies your proficiency in the course only.

Clarifying further:

• The ROS Basics in 5 Days course is the same course on the ROS for Beginners path.
  • When pass the learning path (and this means passing all the courses and the exam of the path), you get a “combo” certificate for the ROS Basics in 5 Days course and the other courses on the learning path.
  • When you pass the course, you get a “solo” certificate for the course only.
  • The real robot project live presentation is required for the “solo” certificate but it is not required for the “combo” certificate.

Please let me know if you need further clarifications.

I see, so I need to complete the real robot project lab in order for me to obtain the certificate, am I right?

This is out of the topic, but I see that there is ROS2. I understand that ROS2 is still new but do you think that learning ROS is already enough as of now for me to start doing my own projects or should I start learning about ROS2?

The real robot project live presentation is required for the “solo” (course) certificate but it is not required for the “combo" (learning path) certificate.

Learning ROS is enough as of now. When you are done with that, it is easy to pick up ROS2.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Im glad Im not “penalized” just because I didnt complete the 109 hours course in time.