Rviz not displaying robot

Hello, I am following a tutorial from Mastering Ros for Robotic Programming 3rd edition and I have cloned the github repo but for some reason none of the urdf or xacro files display in rviz.

I am using the ROS Dev Studio that The Construct provides.

The book creates appropriate launch files and there is no error when running roslaunch except for this:
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to ‘/tmp/runtime-user’

I have just started learning ros a few days ago and would appreciate any help!

At your left panel under the global options you should see an option called fixed frame. Right now I think it show you “map”. Change it into /base_link and everything should work. If it doens’t you need to import your robot from robot frame and try again.

Thank you for your reply. I have already tried changing the frame but it still does not display. For importing, is that from the rviz gui after I run the launch file ?

Nevermind, there was a config named urdf.rviz that the book did not mention anything about. I uploaded it and the robot displayed. Is that config something I have to manually create in the future ?

1 Like

Well, I’m also a beginner following construct courses. If I learn anything on that I will keep you posted

1 Like