Rqt plugins not found

When I run rqt from the course, it works fine.
When I run it from my rosject, it can’t find the plugins.
What am I missing?

Hello @marcwester,

We’ll need just a little more information. Could you please post the error message that you get when you run rqt or a screenshot where we can see the error. Additionally could you please run:
printenv ROS_DISTRO
and post the output here?
This will help us to debug the issue better.

Thanks,

Roberto

Hi @rzegers,
Here’s the output when I try to run rqt from a shell in my rosject. -Marc

user:~/ros2_ws$ rqt
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-user'
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/qt_gui_cpp/plugin.xml" in package "qt_gui_cpp" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_gui_cpp/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_gui_cpp" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_py_console/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_py_console" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_shell/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_shell" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/qt_gui_cpp/plugin.xml" in package "qt_gui_cpp" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_gui_cpp/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_gui_cpp" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_py_console/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_py_console" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_shell/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_shell" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_action/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_action" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_bag/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_bag" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_console/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_console" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_graph/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_graph" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_gui_py/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_gui_py" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_image_view/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_image_view" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_moveit/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_moveit" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_msg/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_msg" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_plot/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_plot" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_publisher/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_publisher" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_reconfigure/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_reconfigure" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_service_caller/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_service_caller" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_srv/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_srv" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_top/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_top" not found
RosPluginProvider._parse_plugin_xml() plugin file "/opt/ros/galactic/share/rqt_topic/plugin.xml" in package "rqt_topic" not found

Hello Marc,

I made a copy of the rosject for the course by following the link at the bottom of Unit 2: How to Build a Map, and executed RQT without issues. So unfortunately I was not able to reproduce the error messages that you got.

I am inclined to think that maybe something happened that corrupted your ROS2 installation in that particular rosject.

My suggestion is that you create a new copy of the rosject for the course. This does require a bit of effort, however, because you would need to make a backup of your work (for instance via downloading a zip file of your files or pushing them to a remote repository). Then you would need to delete the rosject for the project course and get a fresh copy by clicking at the link at the bottom of Unit 2 again. Finally you would need to upload your backup into that rosject.

Regards,

Roberto

Hi Roberto,
Here’s what I did:

1. Delete the rosject after saving the files. Turns out you need to maximize it to get the delete button :slight_smile:
  2. Checked the home dashboard to verify there is no rosject for the course.
  3. Click on the ROS 2 Navigation course.
  4. Scroll to the bottom of unit 2.
  5. Click on " You can now copy the project rosject by ".
  6. The home dashboard now shows " ROS2 Navigation Real Robot Project"
  7. Click “run” for " ROS2 Navigation Real Robot Project" rosject.
  8. Wait for it to load completely then type “rqt” in the first web shell tab.
  9. Watch the error messages scroll up like before. rqt has no plug-ins…

I did notice the web shell tab has a name rather than a number. I’ve named tabs like this in the previous rosject so maybe something is not completely clearing out. The course I’m using is ROS 2 Navigation (Galactic).
I have everything backed up and I’m only using this for personal learning. If there’s a way to reset to factory, I’m fine with that. The course is great.

Thanks,
Marc

Roberto,
Today I start up my rosject and rqt is now working. Not sure what happened except I’m on a different computer. Both are running Windows 10 & Firefox.

1 Like

Hi @marcwester,
I’m glad it now worked.

When it does not work, maybe is that you need to source galactic before running the rosject, I don’t know.

If the error happens again, could you try the following?

source /opt/ros/galactic/setup.bash

rqt

If it does not work, then try:

source /opt/ros/galactic/setup.bash

source ~/ros2_ws/install/setup.bash

rqt

@marcwester,

good to hear that it is working for you now. Please do not hesitate to reach out here at the forum if you experience something similar again.

Cheers,

Roberto

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.