ROSject fixes (C++ Galactic in 5 days)

Dear admins,

@roalgoal @albertoezquerro

There’s some issues on the Rosject project for the C++ Galactic in 5 days course that have been ‘solved’ here on the forum, but still in the project so new users run into them and potentially loose a lot of time before finding the answer:

• The Gazebo simulation starts up with the view zoomed in very much, so you only see a grey area. See this post.
    If this is a non-trivial fix, I suggest to just add a description to the text, e.g. “[…] and the simulation should appear on the Gazebo window. If the Gazebo window comes up but you only see a grey viewport instead of the simulated environment, click on the viewport and scroll to zoom out.”

• The code for the keyboard teleop is incorrect. Fix kindly suggested bij @girishkumar.kannan here:

cd ~
source /opt/ros/noetic/setup.bash
source ~/simulation_ws/devel/setup.bash
rosrun turtlebot3_teleop turtlebot3_teleop_key
  • More in general: I suggest to add an overview of the ROS1 and ROS2 install directories and workspaces that are being used:
    • /opt/ros/noetic → ROS1 install
    • /opt/ros/foxy → ROS2 install
    • ~/simulation_ws/devel/setup.bash → ROS1 workspace for simulation and teleop
    • ~/catkin_ws/devel/setup.bash → ROS1 (?) workspace, only used for the ros1_bridge

Regards,
Johan

Thanks for the tips, I have made the changes you have mentioned. However, they will only be reflected in new forks of the rosject.

1 Like