Planning with different maps

Hello,
I am creating an application where the robot is using the default configuration of move_base for path planning. Given a start and end point on a grid, I want to check what a plan would be for different maps (checking, for example, how an obstacle changes the plan) . I know of move_base’s get_plan service, but am not sure how to activate it with different maps (occupancy grids) and their corresponding cost maps.
Thank you for your help!

Hello @sarah.e.keren,

First of all, apologies for the late response. Somehow we missed this question. It’s totally our fault. Related to your question, you would just need to change the map file you are loading with map_server. So, for instance, modify the lines where you load map_server for the different maps, like so:

<node name="map_server" pkg="map_server" type="map_server" args="map1.yaml" />
<node name="map_server" pkg="map_server" type="map_server" args="map2.yaml" />

Hope this helps,

Thank you for your response and I am happy to hear that this is a valid type of question for the forum.
What I need is a way to query move_base about potential plans given a map. I don’t want to change the map that move_base uses for navigation. I saw that move_base has a make_plan service, but this doesn’t let me specify the underlying map. What would be my best approach for this ?
Thank you!
Sarah

1 Like

I am resending this question again since I did not get a reply and things are becoming time critical.

Also, please let me know if this question is beyond scope of this forum. Also, I would like to know that expected response time for my questions in the future, since I need to decide if this source will be enough for me in my work.

Thank you !

Hi Sarah,

Sorry for the late response. As far as I know, there is no way to specify the map to use for the /make_plan service. As you say, this service is provided by the move_base node, which has a map associated to it. Thus, in order to change the map used by the service, you would need to start another move_base node loading a different map. Anyways, I suggest you to make this question in the ROS Answers forum, where there’s a chance someone has already tried the same approach you are trying. For instance, I just found this question doing a quick search, which might be able to help you: https://answers.ros.org/question/298059/how-to-get-a-collision-free-path-in-a-known-map-with-move_base/

PS: We are going to do our best to provide answers in 24h maximum (weekends excluded). However, keep in mind that we are a small team, and there might be some topics (which go beyond the courses material) which we are not familiar with. In this cases, we are going to point you to the best place where you can find help, like in this case.

Best,

1 Like