Navigation ROSject files

Just curious - all of the files that the project is asking us to build seem to already be there. I know I can make my own, but then I’d have to delete or rename what’s there. I was wondering what the intent is.
Thanks,
/K

Hi @comm ,

Are you referring to the ROS Navigation in 5 Days course?

Regards

Yes - sorry, I should have been clearer. The Rosject associated with that course.
/K

There are some rosjects suggested at the end of the course.
Are you talking about one of them?
Which one?

If so, some rosjects may have some feature or algorithm already implemented, they are kind of “self contained”, that you can explore and see more examples of application

It’s the ROS Navigation Real Robot Project that I’m referring to - it’s the project now for the ROS Navigation in 5 Days - Noetic course.

In the Rosject, there will be statements such as " 2. Create a package called my_turtlebot_mapping." Except that you can’t - the package already exists in the catkin_ws\src folder, along with all of the other packages in the project (at least as far as I’ve gotten). Same for all of the code and launch files within the packages. So I can run them, and it’s certainly educational to read the files. From that perspective it seems more like a demo, but the instructions then read as if I’m supposed to write the programs myself, rather than just trying out the existing programs. If I did want to do that, I’d have to go through and rename the existing files (not sure what happens if I rename a package folder in terms of package management - I haven’t tried). Or just delete everything. Certainly do-able, but it’s confusing why it should be set up that way in the first place. Seems like if you wanted to have it be a real project there wouldn’t be pre-existing files. Although it would be good to have a way to access the “answers” if we needed a hint (just like in the course materials).

Thanks,
/K

Hi Keith,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The problem was that the rosject link was incorrect, and like you said, you shouldn’t have the solutions available. I’ve changed the link so you get an empty catkin_ws when you open the rosject. Sorry about this!

1 Like

Thanks - that makes a lot more sense. Not a problem - I was just curious about the discrepancy.
And it worked - I updated the Rosject and the files are gone now - I have a blank slate.
/K

1 Like