Multiprocessing openai_ros environment

Hi! Hope you guys are doing well.

I am trying to speed up the learning process of my robot in custom env, and want to use multiprocessing to enhance the training speed. As far as know, since openai_ros fetch the sensor datas by subscribing it we might need to launch multiple simulations environment to multiprocess. Since I don’t know how to do implement this, I’m just training my robot with nenv = 1. Is there a way to enhance the learning process by launching multiple sim env at the same time and train in parallel?

Any kind of answer would be highly appreciated :slight_smile: thanks.

Taehyoung

#!/usr/bin/env python
# ROS packages required
import rospy
import rospkg
# Dependencies required
import gym
import os
import numpy as np
import pandas as pd
import time

from stable_baselines3.common.vec_env import DummyVecEnv
from stable_baselines3 import DDPG, PPO, A2C, TD3, SAC
from stable_baselines3.common.monitor import Monitor

# import our task environment
import hummingbird_hover_task_env_a2c
# import hummingbird_hover_task_env_ppo
# from openai_ros.task_envs.cartpole_stay_up import stay_up
# ROS ENV gets started automatically before the training
# from openai_ros.openai_ros_common import StartOpenAI_ROS_Environment -- This has to be solved at the end

# change the directory
os.chdir('/home/ubuntu/catkin_ws/src/hummingbird_pkg/')
rospy.init_node('hummingbird_training_test', anonymous=True, log_level=rospy.FATAL)

# Create the Gym environment

environment_name = rospy.get_param('/hummingbird/task_and_robot_environment_name')
env = gym.make(environment_name)
env = DummyVecEnv([lambda: Monitor(env)])

# rospy.loginfo("Gym environment done")

# Set the logging system
rospack = rospkg.RosPack()
pkg_path = rospack.get_path('hummingbird_pkg')
outdir = pkg_path + '/training_results'

# # env = wrappers.Monitor(env, outdir, force=True)
    # # rospy.loginfo("Monitor Wrapper started")

model_list = [
        # A2C(MlpPolicy, env, verbose=1, tensorboard_log="/home/ubuntu/catkin_ws/src/hummingbird_pkg/results/tensorboard_logs/A2C/"),
        PPO("MlpPolicy", env, verbose=1, ent_coef=0.001, tensorboard_log="/home/ubuntu/catkin_ws/src/hummingbird_pkg/results/tensorboard_logs/PPO/"),
        # DDPG(MlpPolicy, env, verbose=1, ent_coef=0.001, learning_rate=0.0005, tensorboard_log="/home/ubuntu/catkin_ws/src/hummingbird_pkg/results/tensorboard_logs/DDPG/"),
        # TD3(MlpPolicy, env, verbose=1, tensorboard_log="/home/ubuntu/catkin_ws/src/hummingbird_pkg/results/tensorboard_logs/TD3/"),
        # SAC(MlpPolicy, env, verbose=1, tensorboard_log="/home/ubuntu/catkin_ws/src/hummingbird_pkg/results/tensorboard_logs/SAC/")
]

algo_list = [
             # 'A2C',
             'PPO',
             # 'DDPG',
             # 'TD3',
             # 'SAC'
             ]

training_time_list = []
for model, algo in zip(model_list, algo_list):
    print(model)

start = time.time()
    model.learn(total_timesteps=300000)
    end = time.time()
    training_time_list.append((end-start)*1000)
    model.save("/home/ubuntu/catkin_ws/src/hummingbird_pkg/results/trained_model"+"_"+algo)

df = pd.DataFrame(list(zip(algo_list, training_time_list)), columns=['algo', 'train_time (ms)'])
df.to_csv('/home/ubuntu/catkin_ws/src/hummingbird_pkg/results/train_time.csv', index=False)

env.close()

I have customized the task and robot environment as the lecture suggest, and so far the simulation runs fine but i want to speed up the training process by multiprocessing! Looking forward to your answer.

Hi,

Maybe you could have a look at this package:

You might get some ideas on how to use it in OpenAI ROS

1 Like