INSTALLING the Ignition Simulator: The rebirth of Gazebo

Hi @staff I have seen this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAHM2LYShsc and would like to install this simulator.
Questions?
1- Is it a Gazebo complemented with a specific ignition library?

Which steps need I take to install it properly without conflicts?
I put this question becuase I have recently formated my computer and will install ROS from scratch. So what kind of ROS installation must I do of the follwoing ones?

Desktop-Full Install: (Recommended) : ROS, rqt, rviz, robot-generic libraries, 2D/3D simulators and 2D/3D perception

• sudo apt install ros-melodic-desktop-full

or click here

Desktop Install: ROS, rqt, rviz, and robot-generic libraries

• sudo apt install ros-melodic-desktop

or click here

ROS-Base: (Bare Bones) ROS package, build, and communication libraries. No GUI tools.

• sudo apt install ros-melodic-ros-base

I am in doubt to perform the full instalation with gazebo and later this Ignition Simulator conflict with it. So please if you could clarify me the steps I should take to install it before this tutorial http://localhost:8888/notebooks/IgnitionSimulatorCitadel_QuickStart_Review.ipynb I would be very grateful

Thanks!

Hi @marcusvini178,

I installed Ignition many months ago, so I don’t remember exactly the steps, but I would install ros-${DISTRO}-desktop-full and then install Ignition on top of it.

This is how we do in the academy when we want to upgrade Gazebo, for example.

1 Like

nice @ralves but did you create a Docker and installed in a new OS? I am not sure if is necessary to install in a new ubuntu inside this docker image…I am just asking because in the beginning of the video, Mr. Ezquerro tells that he used a docker. Or could I just install in my Distro? I am not sure what is a docker…I just use in my linux a virtual machine with windows 10 installed…is the same idea?
And as you have already tried this Gazebo, does it installation make some previous simulations you had fail? I mean does it gives errors because of overwritten some ignition tool or something like that or not?is it just a Gazebo boost that do not compromise the Gazebo you are using?

Hi @marcusvini178,

When I installed I didn’t test it extensively, so I can’t tell you now which gazebo simulations can fail.

With regards to Docker, is the same as installing in your own computer. The only difference is that with Docker you have containers (more or less like virtual machines), keeping things isolated, but the installation process is the same in a normal environment like yours.

If somehow the Ignition simulator breaks things from Gazebo, you could just remove it and install gazebo again.

1 Like