How to remotely access RViz running on Linux / Nvidia Jetson from Windows PC over ssh/x.11?

When I access a live robot on a Jetson Nano and run rviz (Melodic Ros) via ssh I set X.11 forwarding on and I can launch anything that doesn’t set off rviz. Anything with rviz fails. Doing ssh with MobaXterm and Putty are the same.

I understand there are issues with running OpenGL over X.11, and wondered if anyone has a reasonably stable way to run rviz.

I can access my limo robot using nomachine but I’d like to have rviz running locally on the Windows PC. I notice the rosjects here are work fine using docker - is that a clue for me?

you can access by using this command ssh pc_name@ipaddress - XC;
for example ssh jetson@192.168.29.140 -XC
while using ssh if you want to access the display of the slave or master add -XC to it. then it will work.

Is this from a Windows PC? Or from Linux?

From bash on Windows when I do this the launch gives error

process[rviz-4]: started with pid [13165]
qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display
Could not connect to any X display.

Well, the fix surprised me!

In folder /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu the libdrm.so.2 file was symlinked to libdrm_nvdc.so

I ran

sudo rm libdrm.so.2
sudo ln -sf libdrm.so.2.4.0 libdrm.so.2

And rviz then runs perfectly from the MobaXterm ssh

There may be a knock on effect, but for now I can run remote screen sessions.

Next step will be to run a docker image of melodic desktop on Windows and connect to the remote robot so I am not consuming Jetson memory and cpu with RVIZ.

Sorry, just in case the context was confusing, I made the modification on the Jetson Nano, not Windows.

Ahhh - the fix is not permanent reading down through the above forum post and it suggests reinstalling https://github.com/NVIDIA/libglvnd

If I get a chance I will explore further - seems the libdrm_nvdc.so has extra functions needed for jetson_inference but to be honest I think I am better to go down the docker route and see if I can get that to work.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.