Hardware Properties course related to simulation

Hello! The URDF course is pretty good, but I would appreciate an additional part for robotics hardware (i.e. part 3). The problem in robotics simulation in Gazebo is, you do not have the right materials and weights to construct the robot to simulate it’s approximately right behavior. This doesn’t mean that you need to have the knowledge of a mechanical engineer, but it would be nice if there is a part which explains how to choose or calculate the approximately right weight, density etc. to create the right inertia’s for the robot parts.

That is true, a lot of the times the physical properties are left as boiler plates in simulations because it is enough for testing. But the time spent getting the physics right will only help in the application being tested, and it will make the simulation closer to reality.

I will discuss this with the team to see if this can be implemented soon.

Thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. Doing robotics simulation without any knowledge in for robotics physics, makes it very difficult to understand the scenes behind and to program a robot appropriately. Hope this will be included in the course.