Exercise 5.2: Cannot Change Local Planner

For some reason, I can’t change the local planner in Exercise 5.2. Putting the line base_local_planner: "teb_local_planner/TebLocalPlannerROS" in the my_move_base_params.yaml file doesn’t change the local planner. I tried putting it in multiple locations in the yaml file but it still doesn’t work. I even tried editing the default argument for base_local_planner in my_move_base_launch_2.launch to teb_local_planner/TebLocalPlannerROS.

Whenever I run roslaunch my_move_base_launcher my_move_base_launch_1.launch which calls my_move_base_launch_1.launch which loads my_move_base_params.yaml and then run rosparam get /move_base/base_local_planner in another terminal, I get dwa_local_planner/DWAPlannerROS as the result. Am I missing something here? I’ve been following the course plan so my launch and param files should be the same as the husky_navigation package. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello @acis.ubc,

First of all, let me apologize for the late response. Now, I’ve just tried to reproduce this Exercise, and it worked fine for me. I modified the local planner in the launch file, it’s not necessary to modify anything in the YAML file for this specific case.

However, I see that you already tried that. So, I’ve just sent you an e-mail with the packages I’ve used to reproduce this, so that you can have a look at them and compare them with yours.

Hope this solves your problem,

Hello @albertoezquerro,

Thank you very much for your reply. I compared your code to my code and there was no difference. I tried running my code again and it’s running as expected. I’m wondering if the launch files did not autosave correctly like they normally do. Anyway, it’s working now and I’m able to finish the exercise.