Exercise 2.1-Can't figure out what I'm doing

Hello @allens,

just as @girishkumar.kannan said, you must differentiate between code and command line instructions. These are two different things. There are also two main tools that we use: the code editor and the terminal.

• Code must be pasted inside the code editor (the IDE). I already explained to you in detail how to paste code inside the IDE. See the previous answers in this thread if you need a recap:

• On the other side, command line instructions must be pasted inside the terminal, WebShell, Shell or Command Line (all synonyms). This is the area at the bottom of the screen, the one with #1 #2 #3 and #4 on top.

Note that in the lessons both code and command line instructions are given to you in fields that include a ‘copy code to clipboard’ button. So pay attention if the instructions say “execute” or “run” or if they say “paste xxxx into file xxxx”.

Unfortunately since you are confusing code with command line instructions you are pasting code to the command line, but you should paste it to code editor.

This is basic computer usage skills, and all of it is not covered by the course. It is a pre-requisite so to say. Please make sure you understand the difference between code and command line instructions. And that you can clearly identify which area is the IDE and which area is the command line.
I already pointed you to the course “Linux for Robotics” which covers the usage of the command line.

It will be easier for you to follow this course and for us to help you if you get an understanding of that basic terminology and tools first. Once you get that understanding I am sure that you will be able to identify why the line #!/usr/bin/env python is not working when you paste it in the command line.

Cheers,

Roberto