I’m currently working my way through the Ros2 Basics in 5 Days course, and have just gotten to the point of trying to start the course project.
However, while I have been generally fairly impressed with your courses so far, I’m finding the instructions here to contain significant errors and/or omissions that are making it EXTREMELY confusing for someone who’s new to all this.
Some specific examples of errors and inconsistencies include:
- You say in red to create all the files I create in catkin_ws, but then right under that in black you say to use ros2_ws
- You say to teleop the robot using “rosrun turtlebot3_teleop turtlebot3_teleop_keyboard”, but it says it cannot find the appropriate executable. After some exploring and head scratching I realised that it’s actually “…teleop_key”
Some examples of things that just aren’t clear:
- When following the instructions to launch the Gazebo simulation, I get a bunch of yellow warnings and red errors in the shell, and the shell never goes back to the command prompt. Is that normal??
- When following the instructions for the ros1 bridge (which I note is a concept that was not addressed AT ALL in the actual course), you say to “dedicate a terminal to it” - but again after following the instructions I get some lines saying “Failed to look up XYZ”, and again that shell never returns to the command prompt. Is that normal?
- If I follow what I was taught in the course so far to see what topics are available (using another shell since the first two are still busy), I don’t see any of the familiar ones from the course for e.g. getting the laser scanner data or controlling the robot’s movement. How am I supposed to know what to use?
Overall it feels like maybe this project was updated to a new version of ROS or something, but that the document has not been properly updated to reflect the changes.
Please advise - having paid good money for this course I’m a bit disappointed to be finding issues like these.