Coordinate Frames start drifting when launching cartographer

Hi!

Before launching cartographer, when running my simulation the defined coordinate frames (map, base_link, etc) move as it is supposed when moving the robot. However, after launching cartographer, they start drifting even when the robot isn’t moving.

I don’t know how to start looking for a solution for this, so if anyone knows anything please let me know!!

Could you please tell us the course you are taking and which unit you are on.

It’s my own project, but I am a little bit desperate cause I am new with it and can’t find a solution…

Okay, let me get one of the experts to drop a hint for you.

Hello @marpeja,

personally I have no experience with Cartographer yet, but it seems that fine-tuning the parameters of Cartographer is a tricky process and really difficult. From what I can read by changing some parameters you affect other aspects of the tool which makes the whole process very challenging.

In general I can recommend to spend as much time as you can to really understand what each parameter does and how it affects the output. Unfortunately there is not one configuration that does fit all use cases and the tuning should be made on a case-by-case basis.

That being said, after some quick online search it seems to me that you might need to tune global SLAM for lower latency as explained here:

Tuning methodology — Cartographer ROS documentation
https://google-cartographer-ros.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tuning.html#low-latency

I hope that I could help you further,

Roberto

1 Like

Thank you so much! I will have a look at it!

Moreover I have seen that in your courses you work with RTABMAP, which also performs 3D SLAM. I have looked at its documentation, but it is in ROS instead of in ROS2, and since I am new with it I was wondering if you have a course or if there is a page that explains the configuration process easily!

Thank you again!

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.