Catkin_ws is missing

Hi,
after reopening my IDE the catkin_ws is missing in the workspace and also in the filesystem of the /user path. Only ros2_ws is available. Please can you restore an old version of my catkin_ws.

Hi @mosgaed ,

If you have not deleted the catkin_ws folder by mistake, then try the following steps:

1. When you open your course page and after the IDE loads, on the IDE left panel, locate a button that has 3 dots ... on the top right corner.
  2. Once you click that button, it will show a menu. Choose “Add folder to workspace…”.
  3. This will open a pop-up window file explorer. Once here, locate “user” and click on the dropdown to locate catkin_ws.
  4. Double click on catkin_ws to go inside the folder, once inside the folder click “Open” button on the bottom right of the pop-up window.

If you have followed these steps correctly, you should now be able to see catkin_ws directory on your IDE left panel.

Hope this fixes your issue. Let me know if this does not fix the problem.

Regards,
Girish

Hi @girishkumar.kannan,

this is what is listed in the user directory:

it seems to be that the catkin_ws folder is lost.

Hi @mosgaed ,

That is weird. I think only The Construct team can fix this issue, perhaps tomorrow.

– Girish

Hi @mosgaed,

could you please tell us the name of the rosject that you are trying to load when this happens?

Having the name of the rosject help us to see if there is any older version that can be restored.

Hi @ralves,

This not a rosject. This is the IDE of the ROS2 Basics in 5 Days (C++) IDE

Hi @mosgaed,

the catkin_ws folder is not missing. It is just that it has not been created automatically for this course, since it is a ROS2 course, and catkin_ws is auto-created for ROS1 courses by default.

Unless you have manually created this catkin_ws folder, it should really not have been auto-created for this course.

Do you remember if you have created that catkin_ws folder explicitly?

Bear in mind that content created in a different course is not shared in the current course.

Hi @mosgaed ,

Actually, you do not have a problem at all!

catkin_ws will not be visible in a ROS2 course!
You will only see ros2_ws instead of catkin_ws. You do not need catkin_ws.

But having done the course myself, I see why you are asking for catkin_ws.
Are you on the last chapter that explains ROS1_bridge?
Because if you are on this chapter, you will be told to create a params.yaml (I guess) file in the catkin_ws/src folder. I particularly remember that exercise.
If this is the case then you can create the catkin_ws yourself!

To create the catkin_ws do:

cd ~
mkdir -p catkin_ws/src
cd catkin_ws
catkin_make
source devel/setup.bash

Once you have created catkin_ws directory, you can create the required ROS1 package and make the required parameters file in the package!

Summary: If you are working on the ROS1_bridge chapter in ROS2 Basics course, then you need to create the catkin_ws directory - it will not be available by default.

I hope this solves your problem and any confusion!

Let me know if you still have any issues.

Regards,
Girish

1 Like

Hi @ralves,

thank you for your explanation. No i haven’t created the catkin_ws by myself.
Than everything is clear.

1 Like

Hi @girishkumar.kannan,

Thank you for your advice. Now everything makes sense.