Catkin_package() DEPENDS on the catkin package 'other_catkin_pkg' which must therefore be listed as a run dependency in the package.xml? Help needed with Unit 6 on Services in ROS: Servers & Messages

I’m currently on Unit 6 of the ROS Basics in 5 Days (Python) Noetic and I’m running into an issue which I have not been able to find any solution for online.
It’s the Unit 6: Services in Ros: Servers & Messages

I followed all the instructions correctly so I am very confused as to why I am running into this problem:

CMake Warning at /opt/ros/noetic/share/catkin/cmake/catkin_package.cmake:166 (message):
catkin_package() DEPENDS on ‘system_lib’ but neither
‘system_lib_INCLUDE_DIRS’ nor ‘system_lib_LIBRARIES’ is defined.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/opt/ros/noetic/share/catkin/cmake/catkin_package.cmake:102 (_catkin_package)
topics_quiz/CMakeLists.txt:101 (catkin_package)

CMake Error at /opt/ros/noetic/share/catkin/cmake/catkin_package.cmake:224 (message):
catkin_package() DEPENDS on the catkin package ‘other_catkin_pkg’ which
must therefore be listed as a run dependency in the package.xml
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/opt/ros/noetic/share/catkin/cmake/catkin_package.cmake:102 (_catkin_package)
topics_quiz/CMakeLists.txt:101 (catkin_package)

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “/home/user/catkin_ws/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
See also “/home/user/catkin_ws/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.
make: *** [Makefile:334: cmake_check_build_system] Error 1
Invoking “make cmake_check_build_system” failed

I’ve underlined what the issue seems to be, and I tried to do what it seems to be saying,
with this:

<exec_depend>other_catkin_pkg</exec_depend>

in my package.xml file. However, this makes no difference, the error still remains. I also tried to add other_catkin_pkg in the CMakeLists.txt inside of catkin_package(), but that also doesn’t do anything to resolve the issue.

I am unable to do catkin_make in the command line for this reason, and I am stuck. What is the solution here?

Hi, the key part of your error is this:

Which tells you there’s a problem with system_lib, an example in CMakeLists.txt template that catkin_create_pkg generates.

Try deleting your buid/ and devel/ folders before compiling again:

cd catkin_ws/
rm -rf build/ devel/
catkin_make

Thanks, I finally fixed it with your solution, with a small modification for anyone else stumbling upon this still running into errors.

catkin_make --only-pkg-with-deps <package_name>

1 Like