Can't launch turtlebot3/realrobotlab gazebo simulation as part of my ROS-in-5-days class project

I used to be able to start the gazebo simulation of the turtlebot3/realrobotlab just by typing “roslaunch realrobotlab main.launch” in the terminal window (that’s what the course notebook said to use). Now, I get a series of 9 errors in the startup that says "[Err] [InsertModelWidget.cc:417] Missing model.config for model “/home/user/.gazebo/models/RubberDucky” (this is just the first. There are 8 more similar errors). Somewhere over the last week this began happening (I haven’t been doing the course over the last week).

I’m taking the “ROS Basics in 5 Days” course, and I use this simulation as part I of the course project. my email is raykimber@comcast.net.

1 Like

Hey @raykimber,

It would be helpful to share your screen showing these errors. And also share what is shown on your Gazebo screen. Sometimes they are just warnings that do not prevent the simulation from running.

Perhaps the simulation screen is just showing “gray”? Try the fix in this post:

I’ve run into that problem before, but I think there is a different problem occurring. It appears as though the realrobotlab package can’t even be found. Here is the error:

user:~$ roslaunch realrobotlab main.launch
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/ros/noetic/lib/python3/dist-packages/roslaunch/init.py”,line 258, in main
args = rlutil.resolve_launch_arguments(args)
File “/opt/ros/noetic/lib/python3/dist-packages/roslaunch/rlutil.py”, line 92, in resolve_launch_arguments
resolved = roslib.packages.find_resource(args[0], args[1])
File “/opt/ros/noetic/lib/python3/dist-packages/roslib/packages.py”, line 519, in find_resource
pkg_path = rospack.get_path(pkg)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/rospkg/rospack.py”, line 205, in get_path
self._update_location_cache()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/rospkg/rospack.py”, line 188, in _update_location_cache
list_by_path(self._manifest_name, path, cache)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/rospkg/rospack.py”, line 71, in list_by_path
root = ElementTree(None, os.path.join(d, PACKAGE_FILE))
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/xml/etree/ElementTree.py”, line 555, in init
self.parse(file)
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/xml/etree/ElementTree.py”, line 595, in parse
self._root = parser._parse_whole(source)
File “”, line None
xml.etree.ElementTree.ParseError: mismatched tag: line 57, column 40

Hi there,
I have the same behavior. The following errors appear:

[Err] [InsertModelWidget.cc:417] Missing model.config for model “/home/user/.gazebo/models/lms1xx”
[Err] [InsertModelWidget.cc:417] Missing model.config for model “/home/user/.gazebo/models/media”
[Err] [InsertModelWidget.cc:417] Missing model.config for model “/home/user/.gazebo/models/meshes”
[Err] [InsertModelWidget.cc:417] Missing model.config for model “/home/user/.gazebo/models/turtlebot3_autorace”
[Err] [InsertModelWidget.cc:417] Missing model.config for model “/home/user/.gazebo/models/turtlebot3_autorace_2020”
[Err] [InsertModelWidget.cc:417] Missing model.config for model “/home/user/.gazebo/models/turtlebot3_description”
[Err] [InsertModelWidget.cc:417] Missing model.config for model “/home/user/simulation_ws/src/turtlebot3/turtlebot3_simulations/turtlebot3_gazebo/models/turtlebot3_autorace”
[Err] [InsertModelWidget.cc:417] Missing model.config for model “/home/user/simulation_ws/src/turtlebot3/turtlebot3_simulations/turtlebot3_gazebo/models/turtlebot3_autorace_2020”

And, the Gazebo is gray.

Thanks in advance if any ideas to solve this.

Hi @1gonzalezparramanuelarturo and @eblady

Sometimes it may appear warnings in a gazebo simulation meshes, but it may not be an error on rendering.

About grey screen, we have a first instruction which is checking the zooming of gazebo client

Could you try that and let me know if the problem is solved?

2 Likes

Hi, I had the same issue but the zoom out trick solved it. Thanks

1 Like