Cannot update my registered phone/mobile number

Hi The Construct Team,

Long before when I was in USA, I created my (this) account. Now, after moving back to India a year back, I tried to login again and subscribe for tutorials today (Aug 03, 2022), but I cannot update my phone number from my USA number to India number.
I have added my Indian phone number in my profile settings phone number field, but when I try to subscribe, the webpage sends an OTP to my old (USA) phone number which is not in use anymore.
I would like to take courses and start learning again but I cannot do that yet.

Please give me a solution.

Thanks in advance,
Girish Kumar Kannan

I would like to know if deleting this account and creating an account again with the same email will work or not?

Is it possible to delete an account and re-register a new account with the same email address? Does the website allow me to do this or will my email address be tagged as “already registered” ?

If I can do that, can I use my current (Indian) phone number for the OTP validation on subscription webpage?

Thanks (again) in advance,
Girish Kumar Kannan

Hi @girishkumar.kannan ,

At this time we are not using phone numbers for verification (we use email), so we are not sending an OTP to your phone number. You should be able to subscriber without problems.

If you are having trouble subscribing, please tell us the exact error you are getting.

Hi @bayodesegun ,

Thank you very much for the reply.
I don’t think I have trouble subscribing, but only the OTP confirmation on subscription page bothers me a lot.

So, I tried something, as mentioned below:

1. Created a test account with another email
  2. Confirmed that email address after logging in.
  3. Deleted that account and waited a few mins.
  4. Re-created that account with the same test email address.
    This worked! (I later deleted the test account again - which I created the second time).

So I am going to try the same on my old account. My old account has no certificates or accomplishments since signing up - so I do not lose anything by deleting it and re-creating that account again.

Hoping that this idea works, I will post an update after this reply. If not, I will create a new email id and register a new account.
[As I said earlier, an OTP message to my old phone number is bothering me very much - the only reason].

Thanks.
Girish Kumar Kannan

Hi @bayodesegun ,

I deleted my account and re-created with same old credentials.
The OTP confirmation pop-up before subscription page did not go away.
The website still remembered my old phone number and sent an OTP.
Picture attached below !

My only problem is that I do not want any OTP to be sent to my old phone number.
I know phone numbers get recycled in almost every country. I have personally got messages from people who had my old phone number as one of their old contacts, when I was using that number. So I do not want my info to be sent to some wrong person unintentionally who might be using my old phone number right now. This is very concerning to me.

I am not sure what to do with is now.
Can I just ignore this? [Since you mentioned that OTP is not sent to any number at this time.]
Will this problem be resolved later?

Also the pop up says: “Enter the 6 digit code we sent to your phone to use your payment information you saved during a previous purchase.”
So if I update a new phone number, ignore this popup, and continue with my subscription, will I be prompted to enter an OTP sent to my current phone number later in the future?

If you can confirm that no OTP is sent and this is just a webpage error, I might be convinced. I really want to subscribe soon and start the courses. Since this is my official email address that I use for jobs, I do not want to create a new account.

Sorry for the long post. Please help me out in this regard.

Awaiting your earliest reply.
Thank you very much in advance.
Girish Kumar Kannan

Hi @girishkumar.kannan

I get this now.

This is page is managed entirely by our payment partner, Stripe.com, and we don’t store the information they collect here.

One way you can avoid this problem is to click cancel on the Use your saved information popup (don’t use the saved information tied to the old phone) and enter your card details afresh. Please let me know if you are able to do this.

Also, if you see a box like this, avoid checking it:

Hi @bayodesegun ,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, when I come to the subscription page, a popup from Stripe.com loads this OTP entry window.
It sounds good to me that I can avoid this by clicking “cancel” on the popup, however, I would like to know if any OTP is still being sent. If so, how can I stop the OTP from being sent?

• And yes, if an option to “save my info for secure 1-click checkout” shows up during payment, I will make sure to have it unchecked as per your instructions.

Lastly, should I contact Stripe.com regarding this issue?

Thanks again and sorry for any inconvenience that I have caused.
Girish Kumar Kannan

An OTP might be sent if the popup is loaded automatically. If you want to stop this, then you should contact Stripe to remove your stored card details. Send them an email on support@stripe.com.

In the meantime, you can proceed with taking your subscription so that you can start learning.

Hi @bayodesegun ,

Thank you very much for the reply.
Yes, I am subscribing from tomorrow (7th Aug for me). Meanwhile, I will also get this Stripe OTP issue resolved.
Hoping it does get resolved within 10 days, I will post an update here so that if anyone else faces the same issue, they can take a similar approach.

Thanks again for the timely support. Much appreciated!
Girish Kumar Kannan

Hi @bayodesegun ,

I contacted Stripe support and have got my issue resolved by them. You may mark this issue as closed.
Thanks again for your replies and assistance.

For people having the same problem,
Stripe.com provided the following link : Stripe: Help & Support
In case you want to delete all your associated contacts with Stripe.com, you can visit that link.

Thanks again.
Girish Kumar Kannan

1 Like

Thanks a lot Girish for posting this information for other students!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.